Richland Co., Ohio USGenWeb

Neighborhood News / Newspaper Abstracts & Extracts


e Butler Enterprise (assorted dates)  f


Abstracted from the original papers held by the Butler / Clear Fork Valley Historical Society

Remember to use the "Find" feature of your browser software to locate specific surnames.  This feature is usually found under the Search menu or Edit menu -or- by using keyboard command "CTRL+F".

BUTLER ENTERPRISE: 13 July 1893, Vol. V, No. 33

Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Appleman arrived here from Dunkirk last Monday on the 10:07 train to attend the funeral of Mrs. Appleman's father, Wm. Tarres.

Died, on July 7th., 1893, Abraham Hoff, in his 60th. year. Funeral services were held at the Salem Lutheran church, Sunday forenoon. The deceased was a respected resident of this community in which he has resided all his long and useful life. He was a member of good standing in the Salem Lutheran church for 40 years, and leaves a widow to mourn his loss, no children having blessed their happy union.

Gatton, Isaac - Isaac Gatton was born Oct. 20th., 1800 in Maryland. He came with his parents to Belmont Co., O., in 1801, when Wheeling, W. Va. was their nearest trading place. He was the 14th. child in a family 16. There were 8 boys and 8 girls of which he wsa the last living. In 1817 his father came to Jefferson tp., and entered either the farm owned at present day by Wm. Lanehart or the one owned by John Gatton. On the following spring his father returned to Belmont county after his family, where he took sick and died; after which the subject of this sketch, and the other members of the family with their mother, moved to this township in 1818. He was married to Hetta Maria Carpenter, Jan. 1, 1833, which union was blessed with 13 children; eleven survived him, two having died in infancy. He resided at the farm now owned by John Gatton from 1818 to 1861, when he sold out to his two son, John and Cyrus Gatton, when he moved to the farm at present owned by C. Fry, west of town, where his wife died on Thursday, Dec. 18, 1873, aged 61 years, 5 months and 20 days. After which he sold the farm to C. Fry, with whom he continued to make his home up to the time of his death, having moved with him to town this spring. Funeral services were conducted at the Four Corners church, Monday, July 10th., 1893, at 2 o'clock p.m., by Rev. Barnett. The children were all in attendance except Mrs. Maira Smith, David Gatton, and Isaac Gatton, of Burden, Kans., Caroline Logsdon, of Upper Sandusky, and Asa Gatton, of Hoquiam, Wash. The four sons, John, Cyrus, Jeremiah and Madison, who were in attendance, acted as pall bearers. The music was furnished by the Disciple choir of this place. He was aged 92 years, 8 months and 18 days.. He was a nice old gentleman, and passed his declining years in the quiet and peace of one conscious in a mature old age.


BUTLER ENTERPRISE: 17 August 1893, Vol. V, No. 38

Lexington. The remains of Mrs. M.C. Meckley, of Chicago, O., were brought here today and taken to Johnsville for interment. M.C. Meckley is a son of Ed Meckley living west of town. Mr. Meckley is a railroad man and out of respect to him 26 employees came down to attend the funeral.

Laid to Rest. The funeral of Bartholomew Flannery, at nine o'clock, this morning, was very largely attended; the procession reaching from his late residence at Main and Johns streets to the Catholic church. The deceased had sincere friends in every portion of the county, many of whom attended the obsequies held over his remains today. The services were conducted by the Rev. Father Magenhann, after the forms of the Catholic Church, and were very impressive and touching. The church choir rendered some fine music and the sermon was peculiarly fitting to occasion and the deceased. After the services the remains were interred at the Catholic cemetery. The following gentlemen officiated as pall bearers: Judge A.J. Mack, Judge Lewis Brucker, Capt. A.C. Cummins, Marshal W.E. O'Donnell, James Carrigan and Infirmary Director James Cunningham. The first three named were selected from among Mr. Flannery's personal friends and the last three as representatives of the Catholic church. The Knights of the Road, of which the deceased was a active member, attended the funeral services in a body. - as reprinted from Monday's (Mansfield) Shield.

Butler. Mrs. Wm. Wigton, daughter of Stephen Coe, of near Davis, died Sunday, of consumption, and was buried at St. Johns on Tuesday at 10 o'clock.

Butler. The 18-year-old daughter of John Keller, of near North Liberty, died last Thursday night from the effects of a surgical operation performed on one of her lower limbs for bone cancer. Funeral took place on Saturday.

At Rest. The aged mother of the editor of this paper died at her home, two miles southeast of Butler, at the dearly hour of 3 a.m. Friday morning, of cholera morbus, after a brief illness of less than 24 hours, aged 81 years, 5 months and 21 days. The obsequies took place Saturday afternoon and the remains were laid to rest in the Independence cemetery by the side of her husband, the late Jas. E. Price, who preceded her to the Spirit World something over ten years ago. The funeral sermon was preached in the M.P. Church by the Rev. M.B. Meade, of Amity, assisted by the Rev. Jos. Long, of Bellville. Mary Royston Price was born in England, in the shire of York, February 20, 1812, and spent the early days of her life in that country where she was united in marriage with Jas. E. Price in the year 1846. In 1849 they emigrated to this country, locating in Richland County, where they spent the remainder of their days. Their union was blessed with three children -- two boys and one girl -- James A., William L. and Bess, who survives them. While in her girlhood days and in her native land the subject of the above sketch became a member of the Wesleyan Methodist church in which faith she spent her long and useful life and died a firm believer in Methodism and in the Christian faith. <<scripture omitted>>


BUTLER ENTERPRISE: 31 August 1900, Vol. XII, No. 36

Butler. Coroner Bushnell held an inquest Thursday over the body of Mrs. Sarah Divelbiss, mother of Freeman and Frank Divelbiss, who was found lying dead at the side of her bed early that morning. It appears that one of the neighbors had thought that possibly Mrs. Divelbiss had committed suicide, but it was found that evidently in falling she had caught her hair on a button of the bedstead, that giving the appearance as if she were hanging. It seems that about midnight Mrs. Divelbiss called to her granddaughter for a glass of water, which was brought. Some time after this a noise was heard in the grandmother's room as if the old lady were getting up. In the morning the body was found. The coroner's finding was to the effect that Mrs. Divelbiss came to her death from apoplexy or organic disease.

Marriage Licenses: Raymond G. Russell, of Lucas, and Myra Mowers, of Lucas; Louis Fisher, of Mansfield, and Anna Denman, of Mansfield; George P. Koch, of Shelby, of Shelby, and Grace E. Mack, of Shelby; Joseph Taus, of Mansfield, and Thressa Smith, of Mansfield; L.T. Swank, of Bellville, and Olive M. Sweet, of Bellville; Fred Aungst, of Mansfield, and Minnie Hill, of Mansfield; John F. Hanick, of Newark, and Wilma M. Pitts, of Bellville; E.E. Tarr, of Mt. Vernon, and Laura Richardson, of Mansfield; Harry Holland and Bessie Hill, both of Mansfield.

Bellville. Mrs. Kate Austin received word on Monday of the death of her mother, Mrs. Easterly at Olin, Iowa. She was an invalid for years and death came as a relief, although she will be greatly missed by her relatives.


BUTLER ENTERPRISE: 25 January 1901, Vol. XIII, No. 4

Lexington. Moses Miller of Maxwell, Ia., and Miss Rhoda Rusk, were married Wednesday evening of last week at the home of the bride's father, William Rusk. The Rev. Mr. Thompson performed the ceremony in the presence of the immediate friends of the bride. The happy young couple left Monday for their future home at Maxwell, Ia.

Lexington. The venerable Mrs. Jennette Myers passed away to the mystic realms of the dead at her home here Wednesday morning. Her features were furrowed deeply by the ravages of over 87 years and the weary pilgrim on life's rugged highway gladly welcomed the messenger of death. Her maiden name was Montgomery, and she was born near Belfast, Ireland, Oct. 13, 1813. The family embarked for America in 1830 and were six weeks and two days in crossing the ocean. She with the family, came to Richland County, Nov. 5, 1830, in which early era the country was almost a trackless primitive wilderness. She was married to William Myers, Oct. 4, 1831, and three children came as pledges of their connubial love. Her husband died here July 5, 1876, and her children have also been dead many years. A son was a soldier in the civil war and died a few days after his return from the army. Of eight sisters she leaves one, Mrs. Jacob Searfoss, who lives on the old home farm in Washington Township. The deceased united with the Methodist church in 1833. She was most loyal to the faith and death to her was but a step across the narrow brink of time to the eternal Elysium of heaven. She possessed the most kind, generous impulses and had many friends. Funeral was held Friday afternoon. The Rev. Mr. Pollock officiated and his remarks were eloquent and of the most beautiful, tender sentiments.

Lexington. The remains of Miss Esther Bowser, who died at her home, two miles south of Lexington, Monay were interred in the cemetery here Wednesday. Death was due to paralysis and her age was 69 years, 3 months, 8 days.

King's Corners. Mr. Henry Williams died last Saturday morning, aged 70 years, 8 months and 8 days. The funeral services were conducted Monday afternoon by Rev. Durr. The deceased was buried in Shauck's cemetery. He leaves one son, two daughters and a wife.


BUTLER ENTERPRISE: 14 February 1902, Vol. XIV, No. 6

Scott Anderson is Dead. The subject of the following memorial came to Lexington, Ohio, when only four years old, his father, Rev. James, taking charge of the Presbyterian churches in Lexington and Bellville in April, 1854. He spent five or six of the latter years of his life on his farm near this place, moving to Chicago last October. Many of our readers and his friends will regret to hear of his rather sudden death. Matthew Scott Anderson was the youngest of seven children of Rev. and Mrs. James Anderson, and was born at West Rushville, Ohio, January 4, 1850. Left motherless at the age of 15 months, he had the care and love of a Christian stepmother, who was Mrs. Abigal D. Iles, of East Rushville, Ohio, whom he and his wife cared for so loving to her death in her 87th. year. It was my privilege to received him into the Presbyterian church, of Williamsburg, Iowa, on profession, in February, 1871, a few weeks after the death of our father at that place. I officiated when he married Miss Matilda M. Duncan, of Lancaster, Ohio, September 21, 1871. This union was blessed with one daughter, who died in infancy. My brother spent the most of his life in Iowa. He was a farmer and afterwards a grain merchant and live stock dealer, a man of large heart and self sacrifice for others. He won friends wherever he went and was a member of the Masonic order in good standing. On January 24, while on a business trip at Fredericktown, Ohio, he fell and broke his right arm, also injuring himself internally. He returned to his home in Chicago, two days later, to receive the devoted care of his wife, the sympathy and help of friends and the order of Masons. His brother, Rev. W.W. Anderson, of Loudonville, Ohio, last Monday went to help care for him, but after ten days of suffering he passed away to his rest, at 2 a.m., on February 5th., 1902, at the age of 52 years, 1 month and 1 day. He said to his brother as to his present faith and future hope. "All is well. Jesus will be with me all the way", then sank into a comatose state, until he fell asleep to wake no more on earth. He leaves a loving wife after more than thirty years of happy married life and two brothers, James E. Anderson, of Jewett, Texas, and the writer, Rev. W.W. Anderson, of Loudonville, Ohio. After brief services at his home by the Masonic Order, his remains were taken to Lancaster, Ohio, for funeral services and interment attended by his widow and myself. Mrs. Anderson and two brothers tender their sincere thanks to all the friends who have helped them bear this burden of sorrow." <<scripture omitted>>

Rev. W.W. Anderson, brother of the deceased, accompanied Mrs. Anderson here with the remains from Chicago and returned to his home in Loudonville, Ohio, this morning. The funeral was conducted by Rev. John Gourley, of the Presbyterian church form the home of Mrs. Etta Beck on West Fifth Avenue at 5 o'clock last evening. The remains were placed in the vault at Forest Rose cemetery to await interment in the cemetery.

Dr. William M. Ridenour was born in Richland County, Ohio, May 31, 1870. His father died a victim of consumption before the doctor was born. His mother lived until he was about six years old. But, in the mean time, she was married to Christian Etz. To them a daughter, Olive, was born, who is a half sister to the doctor, who spent his boyhood with Grandmother Ridenour. He attended district school until 18 years of age, when he entered Ada Normal school and worked his way through a three years' course there; then taught a term of school near Butler; after which he entered a medical school at Cleveland, where at the end of three years he received his diploma and returned to Bellville, equipped for the medical profession. Just after his graduation from Cleveland, he married his choice companion for life in the person of Ella Maglott, and they settled in a comfortable home in Bellville, where the doctor built up a good practice and everything bid fair for success until failing health compelled the doctor to abandon his practice here and go to another climate in the hope of recovering his health. He sought relief in Texas and later went to New Mexico in June, 1898. A few months later his wife and son, Frederick, followed him, making their home there until the awful destroyer, consumption, bourhgt its victim low in death and they returned to the old homeland for the burial of the once useful form. Their 4-year-old son, Frederick, could not attend the funeral on account of just recovering from the effects of a broken leg, the accident having occurred two months or more ago. Doctor Ridenour was a noble Christian man, one who could have adorned the medical profession , had his life and health been spared to him. He was a member of the Evangelical church at Ebenezer, where the funeral service was held Sunday, February 9th., at 11 a.m. Interment was made near Hastings. Mrs. Ridenour has certainly passed through deep trials and has the sympathy of her many friends. The funeral was largely attended, notwithstanding it being a cold and stormy day. the funeral was conducted by his pastor, Rev. E.D. Paulin.

Butler. A son was born to S.K. Stake and wife, Sunday.

Butler. Milton Traxler, of Des Moines, Iowa, attended the funeral of his father, James Traxler, Wednesday, and is spending a few days with relatives in town.

Butler. Glen, the little son of A.R. Shi_____ and wife died Sunday at Nashville, Tenn., after a short illness, aged about four years. The remains were brought to Ankneytown Monday, and the funeral took place Tuesday.

James Traxler, a well known resident of Butler for years, and who was born in Pennsylvania, sustained a paralytic stroke at an early hour Saturday morning, which caused his death, Monday, about 2:40 p.m. Mr. Traxler had arisen from his bed to attend the fire, and when his continued absence was noticed by Mrs. Traxler, she made an investigation and fond him wandering about the room in a bewildered manner. He was unable to speak, and he was placed in bed, and lapsed into a semi-conscious state, which continued until death ensued. The funeral was held Wednesday, at 1 p.m., from the family home on North Main Street, and appropriate services were conducted by Rev. E.B. Shumaker at the M.E. church. Interment was made in the Butler cemetery.

Bellville. Wash. Walters, of Shauck, buried his wife at 10 a.m. Sunday, Rev. Loose preached the funeral sermon. If we are not wrongfully informed it's Mr. Walter's fourth wife.

Bangor. A new daughter at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Weller since Jan. 29.

Amy E. Armstrong, Monday, July 27, 2009

<< Back to the Richland Co., Ohio Index