Richland Co., Ohio USGenWeb



Shelby Independent News:  29 July 1875, Vol. 7, No. 40


S.S. Bloom, Editor and Proprietor

- - -

Remember to use the "Find" feature of your browser software to locate specific surnames.  This feature is usually found under the Search menu -or- by using keyboard command "CTRL+F".

The death of our townsman, Wm. H. Garrett, for sometime expected, took place on last Sunday morning at half past ten o'clock.  He enlisted on April 15th., 1861, in Company K., 4th. Regiment O.V.I., and was appointed 2d. Lieut., June 4th.  On August 9th., 1861, he was promoted to 1st. Lieut. of the same company.  His regiment was at the battle of Rich Mountain, West Virginia, on August 9th., but did not participate in the battle.  On Sept. 7th., his company had a skirmish with the rebels at Petersburg, Virginia, capturing a very large quantity of provisions, animals and prisoners.  On Sept. 24th., the regiment drove the rebels from Romney, after a brisk engagement and again on Oct. 25th., capturing two pieces of artillery and a number or prisoners.  On Jan. 7th., 1862 it moved upon Blue Gap, surprised and drove the rebels from a fortified position, capturing their camp equipage and two pieces of artillery.  On March 1st., the Regiment moved toward Winchester.  On the 24th. it started in pursuit of Stonewall Jackson, and went as far as Strasburg.  On May 12th., it marched via Luray, Front Royal, for Fredericksburg to join McDowell's corps.  On May 30th. it drove the rebels from Front Royal, again capturing a number of prisoners, &c., and reached Port Republic June 7th., just in time to cover the retreat of the Union Army.  After marching and counter marching in the valley of Virginia, it left on June 29th., and went by rail to Alexandria, arriving at Harrison's Landing on July 1st.  It remained here until August 15th., being the last Regiment leaving on its evacuation.  It marched via Charles City, Williamsburg and Yorktown, to Newport News, and embarked for Alexandria, reaching the latter place on August 27th.  On the 29th. it went to Centerville, and on Sept. 1st., to Fairfax Court House, on the 2d. to Fort Gains, thence to Harpers' Ferry, on Sept. 6th.  Making various marches, it was sent to Fredericksburg, in front of which the regiment was when he was discharged on account of disability.  He then came home and recruited his health, and in March, 1863, again enlisted and became Captain of Co. B, Independent Battalion of Volunteer Cavalry.  On April 3d., this Regiment, together with the 3d. Ohio, routed three regiments of Rebel Cavalry at Snow Hill, Tennessee, and formed a part of the expedition to pass in Bragg's rear to cut the Railroad at McMinnville, which it succeeded in doing.  It continued in service in Tennessee all summer and winter until Sept. 16, 1864, when the Capt. was transferred to the 174th., O.V.I., in which he became Captain of Co. I.  It was organized in Camp Chase, and immediately went forward to Murfreesboro with orders to report at Decatur, Al. which place it reached on Oct. 28th.  Part of the regiment was left to garrison Athens.  It was afterwards sent back to Murfreesboro, and on Dec. 4th., 1864 took part in the battle of Overall's Creek.  On the 7th. of Dec. it took part in the battle of the Cedars.  Here it made a gallant charge against rebel breastworks, captured two cannon, a rebel stand of colors, and about two hundred prisoners, and was especially complimented for its bravery.  On Jan. 1865, it was withdrawn from the Western Army, reached Cincinnati on Jan. 24th., and went on to Washington City (Sherman then being on his "march to the Sea") reaching the latter place on Jan. 29th.  This long journey was made in bitter cold weather, the troops suffering severely.  On Feb. 21st., it started for North Carolina, reaching Newbern on the 24th.  Here it took part in the battle of Five Forks, at Kingston, Wise's Forks, and several other places, and finally received and repulsed the terrible assault by the rebel Gen. Hoke on March 10th.  This was among the last battles of the war.  It joined Gen. Sherman at Goldsboro, on March 21st., and was near where Gen. Johnston made his final surrender.  During all this time we have named, Capt. Garrett was generally with the regiment.  The regiment was discharged July 7th., 1865.  His health, owing to the severe service, became greatly impaired, but finally recovered until within the last year, when he became unable to attend to business, and finally died -- evidently the result of a disease contracted while in the service.  For a number of years he has been a resident of Shelby, engaged in the Hardware trade, until last winter, when he retired.  His determined disposition to overcome all obstacles kept him up until his last days, when he resigned all hope of recovery, and expressed his readiness and willingness to go hence, telling his friends to meet him beyond the river.  He was aged 38 years on Feb. 8th., 1875, and left a wife and one child surviving him.  

A SAD ACCIDENT.  Horrible Death of our townsman H.H. Marvin.  -- Mr. Henry Hiram Marvin, a son of Mr. Burr Marvin of Williams County, Ohio, making his home with his grandmother, Mrs. Stephen Marvin, on Thursday last, left Shelby on the two o'clock P.M. train, South on the B.&O. R.R., with the intention of going to Chesterville, Morrow County, Ohio, to engage a school, and was found killed the same evening at Fredericktown, Knox County, Ohio.  We transfer to our columns the following account of his death, taken from the Fredericktown Free Press, which we believe is mainly correct:  "About 8 o'clock last (Thursday) night, a man named Henry H. Marvin, an insurance agent of Shelby, Ohio, was found lying on the cross switch about one hundred yards north of the depot with his head completely severed from his body.  He came to this place on the four o'clock train, from the north on his way to Chesterville, where he expected to get a position as teacher in the public school.  He got on the hack to go to Chesterville but was handed a note from Mr. Gann, the Superintendent of the schools, who had been making an effort to secure the position for him, stating that the school board had engaged a teacher and that it would of no use to come.  He then went to the Wagner House and engaged a room for the night, requesting that he be awakened in time for the 4:45 a.m. train.  Mr. Ball, the night operator, says he saw Mr. Marvin come down the hill to the depot and then walk up the track.  This is the last time he was seen until Mr. Thomas Bratt, an engineer on the south-bound freight train discovered him lying on the track.  He at once stopped the train and summoned Mr. Ewing, the conductor.  They found his body to be lying entirely across the warehouse siding, with his neck on the west rail of the cross-switch, the right arm extending along the rail crushed into a shapeless mass, the head being about six feet north of the body.  Esquire Hyler was sent for who selected a jury, consisting of the following gentlemen:  A.B. Ink, Henry Cassell, W.E. Edwards, L.H. Lewis, J.L. Scoles and C.C. Hyde.  He then gave orders for the body to be removed to the warehouse where the inquest was held and a verdict rendered, that the deceased came to his death by being run over by freight train No. 18 extra, at 8 o'clock p.m. July 22d., 1875, on a cross-switch of the B.&O. R.R., and in the opinion of the jury, the deceased was trying to get on the train while it was in motion.  The sad news was telegraphed to his friends at Shelby and his uncle, Mr. H. Marvin, of the firm of Kerr & Marvin, druggists, arrived on the midnight train.  By this time the head had been attached to the body by a number of stitches, and the gaping wound at the shoulder, caused by the arm being torn from its socket, closed up, and the body put in as favorable condition as possible to be returned to his friends, which was done on the 4:45 a.m. train next morning.  The deceased was a single man, twenty-five years of age."  Mr. Marvin was first known to us, while in attendance at Buchtel College, Akron, Ohio, from which place he wrote several communications for the NEWS.  He afterwards came to Shelby, and made this his home.  He was a member of the Literary Society of the Shelby Library Association, and if we are correctly informed, its' Secretary at the time of his death.  In its exercises he frequently took part in reading several fine essays, exhibiting a mind of no ordinary capacity, and considerable cultivator.  He was exemplary in all his conduct, and his sad death is deeply regretted by our people.

MARRIED, At the residence of the bride's parents in DeKalb, Ohio, on Wednesday, July 21st., by Rev. D.I. Foust, Mr. Henry T. Hiles of Shelby, to Miss Dell E. Fox.

DIED, On Monday, July 26th., 1875, Patrick George Sullivan, infant son of Michael and his late wife Catharine Sullivan, aged  about eight months.

A.C. Culberson of Shelby, is an independent candidate for Sheriff of Richland County.



<< Back to the NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS Index

<< Back to the Richland Co., Ohio Index